Moong dal soup is high in protein. yet simple and easy to make.
- 1 cup splityellow Moong dal, washed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups water
- Hari cilantro for garnishing
For the Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Pinch of asafetida (hing)
- Wash the dal several times, until the water becomes almost clear.
- In a medium pot combine the moong dal, turmeric, salt, and water. Cook over medium high heat until it starts to boil.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until completely cooked and a little mushy. Stir occasionally and add more water if needed. Turn off the heat.
- Puree the dal using blender. If needed, adjust the thickness of the dal by adding more boiled water. Mix well. The dal will thicken as it cools.
- Add hari cilantro, it gives the soup a fresh green appearance and a tangy flavor.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add cumin seeds and wait until the seeds crack. Add asafetida and turn off the heat.
- Pour mixture over the cooked soup.